Subject: Re: Pro Compiler Oddity
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 17:51:28 BST

>   In an executable file, all "hunks" (file sections) need to have a size that
> is a multiple of 4.  If the two banks that got a size adjustment were not
> multiples of 4 (the size, not the bank number), that would be why.  (Although
> why the compiler would store each bank in a separate hunk is beyond me; it
> would make more sense to just put them all in the same hunk.)
> 
>   --Andy Church

I believe I read that the reason for putting in seperate hunks was that if
you use one hunk it would all need to load into one contiguous lump of memory,
where as by this method the program could still run even if memory had
become slightly fragmented but the pieces still fitted into the fragments
available.

The original Amos Compiler does indeed only use one hunk to hold everything,
so that might explain why it works when Pro compiler does not if Andy is
right about hunks. From memory I think Pro compiler still only uses one
hunk to store all the banks, one for the program itself, and one for something
else (possibly the library code or something like that)

Martin.